Bonn Declaration of Sustainability
Contribution of German audit institutions to the sustainable development goals
The Conference of Presidents of the German SAI and the audit institutions of the German federal states adopted the Bonn Declaration of Sustainability as a result of their deliberations held on 15/16 October 2018. The Conference was chaired by Kay Scheller, President of the German SAI. The key challenge for the next years is how German audit institutions can contribute within their respective mandates towards successfully accomplishing the goals of the United Nations 2030 Agenda.
The 2030 Agenda aims at meeting the needs of today’s generation without putting at risk the ability of future generations to meet their needs. It is based on the clear commitment of all Members States of the United Nations to assuming responsibility for this endeavour. The 2030 Agenda is addressed to everybody: governments and administrations, civil societies, the private sector, the scientific community and also the external government audit function.
The Conference of Presidents of the German SAI and the audit institutions of the German federal states
- emphasises that implementing the 2030 Agenda in Germany is a national task requiring the joint commitment of federal, state and local governments;
- points out the relation between the sustainable development goals, good governance and good public sector management;
- notes that sound public budgets are key to sustainable public finance;
- reiterates the declaration made in Weimar in early 2018 that both investments in sustainable infrastructure to maintain public infrastructure assets and public debt reduction are critical to a fiscal policy that is fair to future generations;
- affirms that, in their capacity as independent institutions, the German SAI and the regional audit institutions shall provide added value by means of their audit and advisory work to the efficient and effective implementation of the 2030 Agenda in Germany;
- resolves to strengthen sharing audit approaches, methodologies and findings to enhance the overall impact of the external state audit function.